Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Evolution of the Anubis

Here are some masks that I made for our Egyptian Haunted House.



The one on the left is paper mache over a clay form that I had made. For paper mache, I used torn pieces of coffee filters that I dipped in Mod Podge, an all-in-one sealer, glue and finish. Multiple layers made it very hard.

The mask on the right is made from a "Blank Male Mask" that I built up with a foil muzzle and ears. Then I coated those with Celluclay, then Paper Clay. Also, probably some coffee filter layering as well. It was a little heavy, but the mask did not quite fit, the starting blank mask was a little small.

The final mask was made from a $12.99 wolf mask that I got from Kmart. I shaved down the fur, which I thought was too long. This revealled darker fur underneath, much too my liking. I painted the reddish-brown face and ears black, then outlined the eyes and mouth in gold.



No comments: